Saturday, March 05, 2005

These are the days you are never ready for...

When one signs on to be a youth pastor, one tends to think they will have a good, fun, and easy job. Overnight retreats, the ability to watch MTV and not feel guilty, summer camp, fun songs, etc are what is typically involved when one becomes a youth pastor. However, today is not the day one envisions for themselves when one decides to become a youth pastor.

I'm sitting here, waiting for Liz to call me so I can go over to her house. She wants someone to comfort her, to be with her and not to ask any questions, just someone who is willing to enter into her pain right now. Liz, like so many right now, are grieving through the loss of a dear friend. I didn't know Laurie personally. I've met her several times at the bucks, and a couple of times at Willow, so we recognized each others faces, but we didn't know each other. I was confused when I saw her name come across the screen on NBC5 Friday morning as I was getting ready for the gym, and now we have an understanding of what happened or at least where she is.

For me, this isn't my first lost. I know it won't be the last time a student or mentee calls me in tears asking for a shoulder to cry on in the midst of pain. I feel like I can relate considering I've lost so many of those close to me over the years. The first real grief I felt was losing Rita almost 8 years ago. Then I lost my friend Nick from high school, my grandfather in 2000, my friend Josh from college...there are times when it seems so easy to follow Jesus' example...be kind, compassionate, love like crazy, speak truth in love...and times when it's so hard...a man of sorrows...acquainted with grief...

I feel so sad for Laurie's family, friends, fiance, customers, acquaintances, the people in her classes. Things will never be the same...But for now, as a community we must come together and simply just be...

No comments: