Sunday, February 11, 2007

What happens at Mardi Gras, doesn't stay at Mardi Gras

the detail of the shoulder pieces

Getting to Mardi Gras was a pain. I left work early, after being there since 6:30 am. I got to the airport, parked my car and went to my gate. 2 hours after my plane was suppose to leave, it finally did. I was worried about catching my connecting flight in Dallas, but thankfully, everything worked out.

We arrived in New Orleans, only to find out that my parents had reserved a plane for us to get to the hotel. We got to the hotel, and it was beautiful. We had dinner on our patio and went to bed around 11:30 pm. Friday morning we got up and went to the hotel where the ball was going to be held. Saying hello to family members, talking with people who all know me, but I have no idea who they are, it was fun...but the real fun came Friday night.

The ball was incredible and the after party was fun. My brother-in-law, sister and I had fun, drinking and laughing and dancing together. To be honest, this was the first time I felt like I could really relate to them an an adult.

Saturday we went to my favorite restaurant in New Orleans. It finally had reopened since the storm. Across the street is the funeral home where both my grandparents had their services and it's next door to their church as well. I had decided that I would go to the church to see the damage there. My dad followed me in...

When we ran into the pastor, the story he told us was a tear jerker....The church had Sunday services and then left to get away from the storm. My grandmother's service brochures were left out on the table and when the church returned, the first thing they saw was my grandmother's face. The water ruined their church, but they were still there, rebuilding.

What I saw as we drove around the city was something that I can't even begin to tell you about. There are parts of the city that look like they have never been touched and other parts that are still looking for help. I'm shocked and amazed at the city...

The parade that night was fun grabbing beads that I'll never keep but it was fun to experience it with my mom...

All in all it was a great weekend, too much fun with my family and something I hope happens again, but right now, I need to sleep...well, sleep and pack.

No comments: